Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

2005 Chateau Frontenac Bordeaux

Taste: 4/5
Price: $13
Value: 4/5

I get e-mails from winechateau.com highlighting a different wine every day. The ones I want to try, I put in a folder and when I have a substantial list, I place an order. I don't typically buy French wines. I find them flat on their own, but generally good pairing wines. This description, however, really caught my eye: "Tasting the 2005 red wines from the bottle, many of them three or four times, confirmed that this is the greatest vintage produced during my 30-year career." -Robert Parker, Wine Advocate #176, April 30, 2008
"Synonymous with elegance and balance, Bordeaux is a wine for everyone. The first AOC produced in France, it is also the most exported due to its universal character. Fruity, ripe, soft, and round, this blend of Cabernet and Merlot offers delicious aromas of red berries, blackcurrant, and violet, with a hint of oak. Thanks to its fruitiness, this delicious wine may be consumed young or cellared for 5-7 years."
Who could read that and not want to try it? So I did. Certainly not as bold or robust as a California Cab/Merlot blend, with very little tannin. I agree with the description of soft and round, but I found the predominant bouquet and flavor to be very earthy instead of fruity. For the sale price of $13, I would buy this wine again, but it would not make my top favorites list. The list price for this wine was $26 - for that price, there are a lot of other wines I would choose in its place.

No comments: