Search This Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2009

2008 Chamarre Nouveau Merlot Syrah

Taste: 5/5
Value: 5/5
Price: $8-$9 (Shut-up! I didn't remember the price I paid when I was drinking it, I would have guessed it was one of my $20+ bottles and STILL would have given it a 5/5 value rating)

Unbeknownst to me, there is a new French wine appellation, "Vin de Pays Vignobles de France" which allows blending across regions. This wine is a product of that new appellation. I've had Cab/Merlot blends and Cab/Syrah blends, but not a Merlot/Syrah blend before this. It is a blend of 70% Merlot/30% Syrah. True to the label, this wine is a pleasure to behold! Two words: FRUIT BOMB. Make that three: DELICIOUS! This wine is fantastically fruity without being the least bit sweet. The aroma was delightful, but not immediately recognizable, so I'm going to guess it was the pomegranates eluded to in the description. Also described as red currants and strawberries, elderberry and violet with a touch of banana. Overall, full and ripe in the mouth.

No comments: