Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2008

A good wine sale

The other day, I had to stop by Kroger to pick up some chips for our fajita dinner. I didn't really have to go to Kroger, per se, but they have a really good wine selection. I live in AL, where it is legal to sell wine and beer in the grocery store, but until recently it was not legal to have wine shipped to AL. Anyway, since I needed chips and didn't want the hassle of the Walmart checkout, I went to Kroger, where I could also puruse their wine selection. I had a couple run of the mill bottles written down that I wanted to try to find. I have a wine review book by Andrea Immer that I went through after I bought it and marked various wines that sounded like ones I would want to try. She uses a panel of tasters to rate wines on both taste and value scales and even gives each wine a grade on how well it ages in the few days after the bottle is opened. After a good 30 minutes of just walking up and down the wine aisle, reading different bottles, my gaze fell upon 'R' Napa Valley Cabernet (Raymond Estates) that was on sale for $13. This is normally a $20+ bottle of wine that I had previously purchased at a wine tasting at my favorite wine shop. I hadn't been that excited over buying wine since Leap Day, when I got a one day offer from winechateau.com for free shipping! I ended up leaving with 2 bottles of R, a bottle of Chateau St Michelle Indian Wells Cab, a bottle of Covey Run Riesling, a bottle of Three Blind Moose Merlot and a bottle of BV Coastal Estates Pinot Noir. All in all, a great wine outing!

No comments: