Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

2006 Cline Viognier vs Wolf Mountain Chanteloup

Taste: 3.5/5
Value: 5/5
Price $10-$13

This wine is a drier, medium to full body, non-oaked wine. The aroma is heavy on the peach, but the flavor did not follow through for me. The wine review on the bottle reads: "a powerhouse of flavor that is full-bodied. It will make an excellent match with flavorful foods like Mediterranean stew and spicy Mexican dishes. Also recommended with lobster." I had it with Cajun tilapia, and found it too purfumey for my taste, as I do with most Viogniers, but as I mentioned in a previous post I favour the fruit forward wines. Although I am not likely to purchase it again, it is still a fantastic value at $10-$12, and I would not hesitate to give it as a gift to someone who likes purfumey wines.

Wolf Mountain Chanteloup

Taste: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Price: $20

In contrast, there is a Chardonnay/Viognier blend from GA of all places, called Chanteloup. The winery's description is: "French for "Song of the Wolf", Chanteloup is a medium-bodied dry white wine with a hint of French oak. This wine was fermented completely dry and offers an excellent balance of fruit, floral notes and delicate French Oak tannin imparting a softer finish. This unique flavor was achieved by blending 70% French Oak fermented and sur-lie aged Chardonnay with 30% stainless steel fermented Viognier. Enjoy with smoked seafood, poultry, white-meat dishes and soft cheeses." I first tried this wine with my sister-in-law when we did a GA wine weekend in Dahlonega.

No comments: