Search This Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2008

2003 Poggio Alle Sughere Morellino di Scansano

Taste: 4/5
Value: 3.5/5
Price: $18
This is a Sangiovese blend from Tuscany, Italy. Made from 90% Morellino (the "kissing cousin" to Sangiovese - who knew?) and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. I've not become a Chianti fan yet, as most I've tried have been flat and tannic to me. The Cabernet gives this wine nice structure. The night I opened this, I had it with penne pasta with meat sauce and was ready to buy a case! It was dark fruit and low tannin on the nose and full of raspberry, cranberry and black cherry flavors with an earthiness and a touch of tobacco. The finish is slightly spicy, long and supple. By long, I mean a few hours later I could still taste the pleasant finish. My disappointment came the next day. I was looking forward to having a glass after work, but found it much more tannic. Is it that being open one day made such a difference or my memory of the night before too fond? I don't know, but I would most likely keep a bottle of this on hand for future Italian meals or even steak. There is another Sangiovese I like, from GA of all places, made by Blackstock Winery in Dahlonega for $15 that is heavy on the tobacco flavor and divine, but hard to get unless you go to Publix in GA or the winery itself.

No comments: