Search This Blog

Sunday, August 17, 2008

2005 Kumkani Chardonnay/Viognier


Taste: 3/5
Value: 3/5
Price: $7
I don't think I've ever poured a wine the color of Mountain Dew before. The label describes this as a 79% Chardonnay 21% Viognier with bright aromas of lemon, peach, honeysuckle and vanilla with a rich flavor and a long satisfying finish. The flavor reminded me of granny smith apples and lemon curd, and not in a good way. I have had chardonnay/viognier blends that I like much better than this, such as the Wolf Mountain Chanteloup that I have written about previously, and was actually the flavor I was hoping to repeat. Chanteloup wine is fermented completely dry. The unique flavor of Chanteloup is achieved by blending 70% French Oak fermented and sur-lie aged Chardonnay with 30% stainless steel fermented Viognier. French Oak imparts a softer finish, and sur-lie means aged for a time on the lees, or yeasty precipitate that remains in the cask after fermentation, which leads to a distinctive yeasty (described as fresh and creamy) aroma and taste. I will continue to search for a blend more reminiscent of Chateloup, that I can actually get in Alabama, but would not buy Kumkani again.

No comments: