Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

2008 Pagos del Moncayo


Taste: 3/5
Value: 3/5
Price: $15
With a 90 point rating from Wine Advocate, I really wanted to like this wine more than I did. A blend of 65% Grenache/35% Syrah, I expected a softer, fruitier wine. What I experienced was an initial worry that the bottle was skunked. With statistics like 1:10 bottles being at risk for this, it is entirely possible, but then I didn't get the same mustiness from the wine that I got from the cork. Then again, for being briefly oaked it sure had quite a bit of oakiness to me.
Bodegas Pagos del Moncayo is a Spanish winery, that carries out the entire winemaking process by hand, to ensure the final wines will express their true terrior. Robert Parker labels it a great value for drinking over the next 5-6 years, so perhaps I will need to rebuy this and give it another try.

No comments: