Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

2007 Sequoia Grove Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon



Taste: 4/5
Value: 4/5
Price: $30

This wine retails for $35, but with my frequent buyer discount I was able to obtain for $30, which gives it a leg up in the value category! So, this is the first "splurge" wine that I purchased from my recent sister's trip to Napa the end of September. Sequoia Grove was one of our favorites, largely because we liked all of the wines and also because of the special added touch of the tasting room hostess. We were her only customers at the time, and realizing that we both had a deep appreciation of the nuances of wine, she pulled out her sensory evaluation kit and let us guess a few scents. The funny thing was, her scents had been replaced in the wrong spot in the case so when we both correctly identified the scent, she kept telling us it was something else. We persisted and she figured out the error! Back to the wine...while I did buy two other bottles there, I waited to buy the Cab at home since it is widely distributed. The 2007 was just being released, so it's possible that we tasted the 2006 at the winery, but I remembered it being better at the winery. I give points for its richness, balance and soft tannins, but if I'm going to spend $30 for a Cab, I'd buy Mount Veeder for about the same price.

No comments: